Project

Application

Link to our visualization solution and a description of how to use our application.

Data

Details on the data that we used, where we got it, and what we did to it.

Run

Links to our source code, additional data files, and instructions on how to run it.

Images

A library of screenshots of our application highlighting key points.

Cool

Interesting things that we found using our application, including patterns and trends.

Roles

The different roles that were assigned and completed by the three team members.

Coming soon...hang tight!  

Weekly Updates

Week 1

3.25 - 3.31

To begin, we chose the same group members as the last project which eliminated any time that we would have spent introducing ourselves and determining schedules. We started researching about the project individually and start creating the dashboard – same as project 2. Our main priority was to get the data and view each individual variable that is related in causing tornadoes – first in Illinois and then the other states. Since it was spring break, we only worked on project deliverables alone and decided to meet the week after. The goal for next week is to get all the data read in and finish part C of the project.

Week 2

4.1 - 4.7

This week we decided to distribute each bullet point from the project requirement section for part C between the group members. For this project we are planning on experimenting with heat maps and distinct types of graphs but before that we want to make sure that our data is correct. To do this, we have planned on starting off with creating two graphs for each bullet point - a line graph and a bar graph. Once all the data is being read and we ensure that it is correct, we will select which graphs to keep and which to omit. We also plan on changing the graph types and experimenting with new graphs once this step is complete.

Week 3

4.8 - 4.14

This week, Margi handled the different types of charts for the total number of tornadoes summed over years and months. Vignan worked on showing the total number of injuries, fatalities, loss per month and per hour. Aditya worked on the graphs that displayed which country was hit with the most tornadoes in IL and also worked on completing the charts that show the total number of tornadoes summed over all the years. Currently we are working towards finishing part C and displaying the correct data for Illinois. This week we worked on learning leaflet maps since none of the group members were familiar on how to use them.

Week 4

4.15 - 4.21

This week we worked on part B and included graphs for showing the data on the ten most powerful tornadoes in Illinois on the map. We were also able to implement the changes needed to the background of the map. It was up to the group to choose which background to change and we decided to do the Natural Geography Map, World Imaginary, Ocean Based Map, World Physical, and World Street Map. We also changed the color scheme-based o the maps chosen by the user. This was part of the requirement for part A, but we decided to implement it in part B as well. We uploaded the alpha version document as well (due 4.16).

Week 5

4.22 - 4.28

This week we worked on part A of the project and the main goal here was to create a tabular format so that the data from Illinois can be compared to other states. We also worked on showing the country map for Illinois and the data for each item in the menu. This part was done by Margi and Vignan. Aditya created the webpage for the final project and started including screenshots and details for the graphs that were completed. Some cosmetic changes were also made to the looks of the dashboard and we added a legend and key to the graphs, so the user can understand the data fluently.

Week 6

4.29 - 5.5

This week we worked on updating the webpage and included all the screenshots and project details to our site. Margi found trends and other interesting fact about the graphs and this was included in one of the sections in our website. We also ensured that the project is uploaded to shiny and that it is running smoothly. The project link and the link to download our source code was included in another section as well. Some of these tasks were carried over from last week and we simply applied finishing touches since the project was due at the beginning of the week. Lastly, we created a video about the project over the weekend.

Video